Jump to main content

Guide to Daily Living

Foreign Resident Registration -Regarding Alien Registration-

If you will stay in Japan for longer than 90 days, you need to apply for alien registration. Those 16 years and older should apply in person. For persons who are younger than 16 years old, the father, mother, or another member of the same household can apply on their behalf.

Changes necessary Deadline for enrollment Necessary items
New registration Within 90 days of arrival in Japan Passport 2 (4.5 x3.5 cm) sized pictures Photo size
* Pictures unnecessary for persons under 16 years old
Birth of a child Within 60 days of birth Birth certificate Passport (from holding-person)
Death Within 14 days of knowing cause of death Death certificate Alien registration card
Renewal *For persons who are 16 years and older: Within 30 days of the expiration date printed on the back of your card.
*For persons who are younger than 16 years old: Within 30 days after turning 16 years old.
Passport (from holding-person)  2 (4.5 x3.5 cm) sized pictures Alien registration card
Moving to a different city Within 14 days of beginning new residence Alien registration card
Changing residence within a city Within 14 days of changing location Alien registration card
Any change in registration information Within 14 days of the change Alien registration card Documents certifying changes in full name, nationality, occupation, place of employment, visa status, or period of stay.